We Need to Talk About Edith – John Williams and 'Stoner'


When I put it out there that I was about to read Stoner, John Williams’ quiet masterpiece, I was issued with two provisos. The first was to prepare myself to be left broken by the sadness of the story. Indeed, I have no quibble with that; it’s a heartbreaking tale, beautifully told and, despite the occasional hopeful interlude, desperately bleak. The second warning, though, felt more complicated. I was to ready myself for one of the most loathsome women in literature. And it wasn’t hard, at first, to agree.
 
The treatment that Edith Stoner doles out to her husband William for almost the entirety of his adult life left me angrily shaking my head. On one occasion - when Edith forbids their young daughter Grace from sharing quality time with her father in his study - I found myself uttering an expletive out loud on the top deck of the Number 73 bus.   





 
However, this charge of loathsomeness is far from an open and shut case. In a novel that urges us to look closer at the seemingly inconsequential life, quietly lived, we are given short but powerful glimpses into the characters of those that surround the eponymous hero.
 
On the surface, Edith is a monster. Yet stumbling on the following passage which details Edith’s reaction to the death of her father, we find the author leaving the door to her character ajar.  
 
*

Finally she arranged all of her childhood belongings neatly in two piles. One of these consisted of toys and trinkets she had acquired for herself, of secret photographs and letters from school friends, of gifts she had at one time received from distant relatives; the other pile consisted of those things that her father had given her and of things with which he had been directly or indirectly connected. It was to this pile that she gave her attention. Methodically, expressionlessly, with neither anger nor joy, she took the objects there, one by one, and destroyed them. The letters and clothes, the stuffing from the dolls, the pincushions and pictures, she burned in the fireplace; the clay and porcelain heads, the hands and arms and feet of the dolls she pounded to a fine powder on the hearth; and what remained after the burning and pounding she swept into a small pile and flushed down the toilet in the bathroom that adjoined her room.

*
 
There is nothing explicit here. And yet, how can we not but surmise that Edith has experienced some ghastly kind of child abuse at the hands of her deceased father. Indeed, if we made Edith Stoner the lodestone of this novel, I vouch that we’d almost certainly have an entirely different reaction to her. Likewise, Archer Sloane, Stoner’s difficult mentor who dies with his eyes wide open at his desk. Or Horris Lomax, the hunchback with the matinee idol face, and along with Edith, the bane of our hero’s professional and, eventually, private life.  




Edvard Munch, The Artist and His Model (1919-21)

 
Its not the quiet horrors and frustrations that make this such a powerful work though. The short-lived, fiercely burning love affair that stands at the centre of the book, and the centre of Stoner’s life is beautifully rendered. In simple and elegant prose, Williams sets the romance in motion. 

*
 
It was dark outside, and a spring chill was in the evening air. He breathed deeply and felt his body tingle in the coolness. Beyond the jagged outline of the apartment houses the town lights glowed upon a thin mist that hung in the air. At the corner a street light pushed feebly against the darkness that closed around it; from the darkness beyond it the sound of laughter broke abruptly into the silence, lingered and died. The smell of smoke from trash burning in back yards was held by the mist; and as he walked slowly through the evening, breathing the fragrance and tasting upon his tongue the sharp night-time air, it seemed to him that the moment he walked in was enough and that he might not need a great deal more.

*
 
The pivot at the centre of this paragraph could serve as an encapsulation of the entirety of the novel: ‘from the darkness beyond it the sound of laughter broke abruptly into the silence, lingered and died.’  The whole affair that Stoner conducts with the research student Katherine is just over a chapter in length. And then the picking up for the second half of the novel of a heartbreaking and elegiac mood, rendered, at times, in a wonderfully profane biblical parataxis. 

*
 
'Lust and learning, Katherine once said. 'That's really all there is, isn't it?' And it seemed to Stoner that that was exactly true, that that was one of the things he had learned.

*
 
Lust and learning. Not much else. Yet in that moment, that is so much. Lomax brings the affair down, Katherine disappears. 




Edvard Munch, The Kiss (1897)


 
There is also a Zolaesque futility to the novel that inevitably leaves you saddened. The environment that Grace grows up in will have a significant impact. Pregnancy as an escape, alcoholism as a crutch, are the ways that her life will play out. 

*
 
   'I suppose', she said, 'I suppose I got pregnant deliberately, though I didn't know it at the time; I suppose I didn't even know how badly I wanted, how badly I had to get away from here. I knew enough not to get pregnant unless I wanted to, Lord knows. All those boys in high school, and — she smiled crookedly at her father - 'you and mamma, you didn't know, did you?'
   'I suppose not’, he said.
   ‘Mamma wanted me to be popular, and — well, I was popular, all right. It didn't mean anything, not anything at all'.
   ‘I knew you were unhappy’, Stoner said with difficulty. 'But I never realized — never knew —'
   'I suppose I didn't either’, she said. 'I couldn't have. Poor Ed. He's the one that got the rotten deal. I used him, you know, oh, he was the father all right—but I used him. He was a nice boy, and always so ashamed—he couldn't stand it. He joined up six months before he had to, just to get away from it. I killed him, I suppose; he was such a nice boy, and we couldn't even like each other very much?’
   They talked late into the night, as if they were old friends. And Stoner came to realize that she was, as she had said, almost happy with her despair; she would live her days out quietly, drinking a little more, year by year, numbing herself against the nothingness her life had become. He was glad she had that, at least; he was grateful that she could drink.

*
 
Just heartbreaking. And, again, in one short scene, consisting of only a few paragraphs, we get a whole life hinted at (yet this time the delineation is more explicit).




Edvard Munch, Melancholy (1897) 


 
All that remains is the foreshadowed and inevitable deathbed scene. Stoner searching for a book, his own book, clutching at it and then dropping it as he dies. 
 
That final passage was arrived at at the start of summer, and I wanted to ruminate on the novel and see if - as I anticipated - the story would linger and remain under my skin. Obviously it has. But what has surprised me most is a growing bafflement with William Stoner. I almost wanted to shake him out of his meek acquiescence and tell him to stand up to Edith, if only for the sake of his daughter Grace. His retreat into his work, ultimately a retreat between the pages of his books, almost argues against how many of us - certainly me - regard the consolations of art. Edith makes you fume, and Grace and her situation leave you sad, but William himself, ultimately, puzzles you. Perhaps it’s this that is the true key to the novel’s unquestionable  greatness.  
 



Comments

Popular Posts